Today I’m sharing one of my favorite Italian Recipes: Orecchiette Pasta with Broccolini and Sausage! This traditional Italian recipe is one that my whole family absolutely loves. We really enjoy this recipe because it’s delicious and feels a little bit more guilt-free due to it not having a heavy cream sauce and adding a little bit of extra fiber in your diet from the broccolini. This recipe will easily make four “normal” servings, but if you’re anything like Josh and I are, you could eat the whole dish between two people!
Prep: The prep time on this recipe is so quick and easy. Simply rinse one bunch of broccolini and cut off the end of the stem and then cut into bite-sized pieces. Now you’re ready to begin cooking!
To start, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Don’t forget to add salt to your water once it starts to boil to season the pasta. Add a box (12 oz) of orecchiette pasta to the boiling water and cook until it’s al dente. Follow the instructions on the box for cooking times, but this should take somewhere between 9-12 minutes.
While your pasta is cooking, take a large skillet and turn the heat on a high. Add enough olive oil to coat the pan. Once hot, add in your chopped broccolini, and a couple of pinches of salt into the pan. Sear your broccolini for 4-5 minutes, or until you get some crispy brown edges, and then remove from the pan and set to the side.
With the same pan, add in one lb of Ground Italian Sausage. I personally love the extra spice of hot Italian sausage, but a mild sausage works just as well! Brown your meat (this should take around 8-10 minutes) and stir often. By the time you begin to brown your sausage, your pasta should be done!
Drain your pasta, saving ½ cup of the pasta water, and dump the pasta back into the pot with the saved water. On a low heat, mix in your broccolini, sausage, and 6-8 oz of your favorite basil pesto. I’m a big fan of keeping things convenient and like to use store-bought pesto, but you can always make your own! Once everything has been added, cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, or until your liquids have thickened into a sauce. Plate and serve!
Orecchiette Pasta with Broccolini and Sausage
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 20 Minutes
Serves 2-4 People
- 1 12oz Box of Orecchiette Pasta
- 1 Medium Bunch of Broccolini
- 1 lb of Spicy or Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- ~¼ cup of Olive Oil
- 6-8 Ounces of Basil Pesto
- Rinse your broccolini and cut into bite-sized pieces
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add salt and your box of orecchiette pasta. Cook for 9-12 minutes, or until al dente.
While your pasta is cooking, bring a large pan to medium-high heat. Add ~¼ cup of olive oil (enough to coat your pan). Once hot, add in your broccolini, and salt. Sear for 4-5 minutes and remove from the pan.
- With the same pan, add your pound of ground Italian sausage and cook until browned, stirring often.
- Once your pasta has cooked to an al dente texture, save ½ cup of pasta water and drain.
- Add your pasta, broccolini, browned sausage, ½ cup of pasta water, and 6-8 oz of pesto into the pot. Cook on low heat for 2-3 minutes, or until the liquids have turned into a sauce.
- Plate and serve.