I like to call myself a bit of a serial modifier when it comes to recipes. I tend to find recipes that I love online and then use what I have in the kitchen to make my own version! I’ve seen and tried about a million different cornbread recipes, and I think I’ve finally mastered the exact cheesy green chili cornbread recipe I love to make for my family.
My son, Mason, LOVES to cook, his favorite book right now is about cooking! I’m even getting him a cute little chef outfit for his birthday at the end of the month (shh, don’t tell him!) so I let him help out with this one. He loves to pour and mix ingredients, but I think his favorite part is eating ingredients as we go!
This green chili cornbread recipe will make enough for either a 9×13 glass pan or 24 muffins. Today, we’re going to use the glass pan.
To begin making the green chili cornbread, preheat the oven to 350°. In a large mixing bowl, add the two boxes of Jiffy cornbread mix. Next, add your beaten eggs into the bowl and mix. I truly don’t believe there’s any right or wrong order to adding and mixing the ingredients. You can mix everything at the end, but I personally like to mix as I go.
Now, pour your sour cream, corn, melted butter, and green chilis and mix. Add in about a cup and a half of Mexican-blend cheese (we’ll save the remaining half cup for later) and mix again. Any shredded cheese will work, but Mexican blend is definitely my favorite!
Once all the ingredients are added, I pour everything into the greased 9×13 glass pan and spread it evenly. Take the remaining half cup of shredded cheese and sprinkle evenly across the top for an extra-cheesy finish.
Now, you’re ready to bake! Put the pan in the oven and cook until it’s golden on top. With the glass pan, the cornbread typically takes anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour to achieve. I check mine at 50 minutes to see how it looks and judge how much longer it needs to go from there.
NOTE: Baking will take less time if you’re using muffin tins. Check after 25 minutes.
Once your cornbread is ready, pull from the oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes. Once it’s cool enough to slice, serve and enjoy! If you have leftovers, store in a sealed container for up to 2-3 days in the pantry or 5-6 days in the refrigerator. Be sure to let me know if you try the recipe!
Cheesy Green Chili Cornbread Recipe
- 16oz Can of Whole Kernel Corn
- 16oz Can of Creamed Corn
- 8oz Sour Cream
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 Eggs, Beaten
- 2 Boxes (8.5 oz) of Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 2 Cups of Shredded Mexican-blend Cheese
- 4oz Can of Green Chilis
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large mixing bowl, add Jiffy Cornbread Mix and beaten eggs. Mix.
- Add the sour cream, corn, melted butter, and green chilis. Mix.
- Add in 1½ cups of shredded cheese. Set aside the remaining ½ cup for later. Mix.
- Grease pan or muffin tin(s) and pour in the mix, spreading evenly.
- Place in the oven and bake until golden. If baking in the 9×13 pan, bake for 35 minutes. Then remove from oven and top with remaining ½ cup of shredded cheese and back for another 15 minutes. If baking in the muffin tin(s), the total bake time will be 25-30 minutes.
- Once golden, remove from the oven and let cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!